Sunday, March 30, 2008

U23D

Yesterday we drove down to the Twin Cities. With the price of gas as it is, it's been a long time since we've been there. We ran around to a few of our favorite spots and put in supplies of yarn, a few books (from Birchbark), tea candles from Ikea, and then met up with some of Jeanne's family for dinner and a show - U23D at the Minnesota Zoo IMAX.

I've always liked U2 and recently had been reading a bit more about them and their, well, theology. They have always been a group that sings about social justice issues and of course Bono has been an outspoken critic of the developed world's treatment of Africa. As I've read more and looked at the lyrics of their songs, I've become more and more of a fan. Not to mention cranking them up loud on a friday is kind of fun too! Well, having read Michelle Hargrave's blog (you have to scroll down a bit to read her experience) about seeing the 3D movie, I figured if we could see it we should. I wasn't really expecting too much from the 3D part. Anything "3D" I've seen in the past has been less than stellar. I was amazed. I was amazed at the 3D aspect, amazed at the crowd (it was filmed in a soccer stadium in Buenos Aires and there were easily 150,000 people), amazed at the stage presence of the entire band, amazed at the music and absolutely blown away by the message. The movie was a 90 minute (seemed like 10) lesson in human rights and social justice. I only wish I had seen it earlier (it leaves Minnesota this week), as I would have gone again, and probably again.

Peace,
Jeff

No comments: