Monday, March 10, 2008

Lenten Post March 10th

Music at our home tends to go in rotational streaks. A group of CD's will get pulled out and listened to for a bit then others will replace them. There is also a difference in listening preferences that come into play as to what shows up in the CD player - I tend to like a group of old favorites (which includes their new material) while Jeanne is more likely to listen to new groups/artists. She's also much more likely to be listening to "new age" than I am - my preference to something analagous would be ancient music like gregorian chant.

This past week I was cleaning out my car (happens rather infrequently) and found Neil Young's "prairie wind". I had listened to it some last summer but didn't really spend much time with it. So the other day when I put it in the player and really heard "When God Made Me" I was blown away. I'm used to hearing Neil Young sing hard hitting songs about social issues, but this isn't like that. I see it as an honest questioning of what God had in mind when he created us.

You can listen to it here and clicking on "When God Made Me".

Peace,
Jeff

1 comment:

David said...

Thanks for reminding me of this wonderful song. It's funny how something you may have encountered awhile ago comes back later and grabs hold of you in a new way. That's part of the beauty of music and art.

David