Monday, May 5, 2008

Follow-up and Finishing up

I had few more thoughts on my last post that have been rolling around in my head for a few days. Shortly after I posted that I was checking out Bishop Dyck's blog to see if there was anything new (for those of you non-MN Annual Conference folk, you can link to her blog off the side bar) only to find a comment about how scripture is to be our plumbline and if we make scripture into what we want, it's meaningless. Of course this was in reference to homosexuality. I really disdain this use of scripture for one reason. If one is to cite scripture to support one's stance on a particular issue they must be willing to cite scripture and live accordingly in every single aspect of their lives. From eating to raising children to worship. No exceptions. Most people aren't willing to do that. Yet in my little mind, if you're going to say homosexuality is wrong because Paul makes reference to that, fine. Then, follow the dietary restrictions that are also contained in Paul's epistles. And what about women and their role in the church, we certainly won't be listening to any women in the pulpit and if they do decided to worship I'd better see head scarves!!

Paul continually tells his readers to always defer your personal comfort and piety for the other person for the good of the community (don't eat the meat, wear a head scarf, don't make waves to draw attention to yourself). Paul saw salvation through Christ as a communal action that always goes through the table and in the sharing of the eucharist (I thank my Catholic education for that insight!). If we are to fully share in that meal, we need to start thinking about deferring our uneasiness about people who are different and welcome them fully to the table.

I can't believe that I'm about 8 pages of work away from finishing up my first year. It is conceiveable that at this time next year I could be totally finished with this aspect of my education. I've been trying to sort through what I'm going to end up doing with this degree (my father keeps asking me, and to this point I haven't been able to give him a concrete answer). My intentions were to become ordained as a deacon, but unless somethings change that is going to be pretty difficult - both from a monetary standpoint as well as a time standpoint. That's difficult to admit, because I feel strongly that I would like that to happen. But reality is with two kids in college, a wife who is an outstanding teacher and loves where she is in life (well, most days she does), as well as a pre-teen that needs lots of attention spending much more time away probably isn't in the cards. The discernment continues.

Anyway, as always, thanks for stopping by. I need to finish up a paper and find some good baseball sized rocks; the pre-teen is acting up and needs a good stoning. ;)

Peace,
Jeff

No comments: